From:
Joel Lazar <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 May 2000 17:16:47 -0400
David Runnion wrote:

>Say, I was thinking in a rehearsal yesterday, if it's ok to eliminate
>repeats in a Beethoven symphony, would it be ok to add a repeat in a Mozart
>trio? We're working on the K. 542, E major.  I find every bar, every note,
>breathtakingly beautiful.  ...
>
>Sadly, the recapitulation of the first movement lacks a repeat sign.  I'd
>sort of like to repeat it.  Could this be a printers' error? Are we sure
>that Mozart intended the section to be unrepeated? After all, everybody
>repeated the recap in those days, why should he go to the trouble of
>writing it out?

David, that late in Mozart's oeuvre I would think that a "second repeat"
in a sonata-form first movement would be somewhat rare--it's not there in
Symphony No. 39, K. 543, for instance or in the "Jupiter"...

 From what edition are you playing? Can you check something like the NMA or
the Wiener Urtext?

I don't know K. 542 well enough to remember--is there a new closing
section or coda at the end of the first movement or does it basically
reprise the opening of the exposition? If there's an extra coda-like
section, then the probability of a forgotten repeat sign might be lower
than if there isn't....and this is not statistically supported but rather
an instinctive suggestion.

Best-Joel