From:
Kevin Sutton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Oct 1999 22:02:01 -0500
Donald Satz wrote:

>For many weeks now I've been listening almost exclusively to Bach's music.
>I don't know how much longer this will last, but I was curious if any other
>list members have spent weeks on end listening to just one composer's
>music.  What factors brought you to this regimen, and how did it end? I'm
>not worried about listening to Bach; in fact, I'm enjoying it greatly -
>just solo keyboard works.  However, trying to be more well-rounded is a
>goal some people have favored for me - screw them.

I have had this happen to me many times.  It tends to occur when I
encounter a fine work by a composer that I had not appreciated or explored
before.  Three recent examples: Buxtehude, Distler, and Reger.  Not only
do I listen to everything I can find, but I also do a great deal of reading
about the composers and seek out as many scores as I can find.  I tend to
get more out of music when I can see its construction as well as hear it.
This gets damned expensive, but very rewarding.

>Well, two new discs arrived at my home today, and they might turn the tide.
>One is volume 2 of the Cherubini string quartets performed by the Quartetto
>David on BIS; I'm looking forward to comparing it to the Melos on DG and
>Hausmusik (period instruments) on CPO.  I believe the BIS recording is on
>modern instruments.

Everyone was raving about those quartets a while back and while I haven't
heard them as yet, they are on my list.

Kevin Sutton