From:
Mike Logsdon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Dec 2006 19:23:40 -0800
John Smyth wrote:

>Regarding old sounds: the mono sound is so palpable that you can
>reach out and touch the players.  ...

It's strange that this thought keeps coming up, in a variety of musical
avenues.  My own particular avenue is traditional jazz, and as much as
I enjoy obtaining CDs of my favorite bands currently playing, in all
their digital glory, it's the going back to the 1950s mono LPs that
really satisfies.

Regarding classical, I'm reminded of the 1950 Columbia LP reissue of its
1947 78 rpm Huddersfield/Liverpool/Sargent "Elijah".  I have the 78 rpm
set, about as mint as it gets, but when I finally got a hold of a mint
LP reissue, heck, minimal technology aside (all they could do was put a
record player in front of a tape recorder), hearing the depth, clarity,
and smoothness of the sound, beats hell out of even the 1995 Dutton
digital reissue of the 78s.  (Though I ain't trading my Dutton digital
for anything, I'll clue ya!),

Etc,

Fr M J (Mike) Logsdon, Vicar-general
North American Old Roman Catholic Church (Utrecht Succession)
Archdiocese of California www.naorc.org