From:
Ravi Narasimhan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Feb 2004 11:07:51 -0800
Quoting Chris Mullins <[log in to unmask]>:

>HOWEVER - on 2/14 I returned to Disney Hall for Gergeiv leading the LA
>Phil in a rare Rimsky-Korsakov "opener" - the tuneful march "Dubinushka,"
>Prokofiev's Symphony 7, and "Pictures at an Exhibition." This concert
>also ended with a wild standing ovation that went on for minutes, and
>I stayed, but there was to be no encore.  I suppose Gergiev had had no
>time to prepare one with the Phil.  A shame.

Might have something to do with musician's union regulations if the
concert goes over a prescribed time.  I've attended LA Phil concerts for
about five or six years and have never heard an encore from them.  Another
recent case at Disney Hall was Rattle/Berlin Phil in a Bartok/Schubert
program.  The audience went justifiably bat-guano for an evening that
won't soon be forgotten.  Many callbacks for Rattle, wild appreciation
of the sections he brought out for recognition.  No encore.

Ravi Narasimhan