From:
Mimi Ezust <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Jul 1999 22:00:01 -0400
Bob Draper wrote:

>Once again a Mozart work disappoints me.  Still, maybe I'll find salvation
>in the much praised "Marriage Of Figaro", "Cosi Fan Tutti" or "Don
>Giovanni".
>
>Somehow I doubt it!

So why not give up Mozart for a few years and go immediately to something
you do like? Complaining about what you don't enjoy is hardly what I'd
call a fascinating contribution.  Is someone forcing you? Are you being
compelled to listen to Mozart against your will? Are the classical police
after you, enforcing hard earwork and brainwork?

When people complain about not liking a particular composer there are
usually a few predictable reactions on a list such as this: we get many
'me, too' posts, so the haters can go sit in the corner and compare how
much they have in common.

Then we have a few folks (and I used to be one of them) who jump in with
information about their favorite works and performances, and little stories
attempting to make the pieces more meaningful for you.  Missionary work.
Hey, have you tried the viola quintets? Eh? Psst.  G minor.  Real article.
Shhh.

I don't do that any more.  Trashing Mozart isn't one of the eight great
paths to enlightenment.  And I adore Mozart's viola quintets so much that
when I hear someone put down Wolfie I just have to laugh at the trasher.
What a misguided person.  Poor thing.  I'm much too polite to do my
laughing in public, usually, but in this case I'm making an exception.
Reading so much amazing trashing in two days in a row does that to me.
Mozart a disappointment? Hold my sides, please.  They shake, they split.
How novel.  how RADICAL.

So don't force yourself to listen to Mozart's operas.  They've survived
well for many years without you.  If you don't like Mozart, so what? I have
learned nothing at all about music from a message like that, and I am not
inspired to increase your pleasure.  But if you do find some composer you
do like, let's hear about it.  I like to know what people enjoy and in as
much detail as possible.  Maybe I can learn something new from you.

Mimi think-positive Ezust <[log in to unmask]>