From:
John Smyth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Jul 1999 19:15:59 -0700
Went and saw "Eyes Wide Shut" this weekend.  Those of you wondering who
wrote that lovely piano music heard in the movie, (and the commercial),
can run right out and buy it!  It is Ligeti's "Musica Ricercata #2" found
on Sony's Ligeti Edition #3.

At first I was wondering, "who wrote this lame music?" but then the theme
started to grow on me and the more urgent question became, "Shouldn't
Sidney Pollack have shaved his back before the nude scene?" I digress.

Quick observation: Like Ligeti's musical statement, a very slow,
simple repetitive question and answer form; the dialog between Kubrick's
characters is very similar--one character makes a statement or asks a
question and the other character repeats it back.  Stylistically unifying,
but *so* tedious--it starts to become comical once you notice.  Good try
Stanley.

Johnet Maslin
(Smyth)