From:
Mats Norrman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Sep 2000 19:45:32 +0200
Per Baeckstroem <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>I just got a link to Amazon.com on another list from someone who had
>written a review and came to think of a review I have written myself
>about IMO wonderful songs by John Fernstroem sung by a young soprano
>I adore, Miah Persson.  Here is a link, which I hope works.  If not I
>suggest you go to Amazon and search for Fernstroem, Songs of the Sea.

I have never heard any songs by Fernstroem (What does he sing?).  But I
like the String Quartetts very much.  I consider his String Quartetts to
belong to the finest ever composed by a Swede.  This would place him beside
Stenhammar, but thats a bit quirky, as his style is a little original, so
a comparision doesn't fall out very well.  It is like comparing Janacek
with anyone else.  Ferstroem is an impressionist BTW - I hear some DeBussy,
but also Nielsen in him, although he is very original.

Particulary I like the 3rd Quartett.  It is a masterwork of structure, in
a way that reminds of Edwin Kallstenius symphonical work, meanwhile feeling
sponatneous, and humouristic.  And humor could be quirky to build into a
"perfect" structure without breaking it.  Beethoven could of course do
that.

Don't like his paintings.

Mats Norrman