From:
Richard Pennycuick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 May 2000 08:17:55 +1000
Aaron Rabushka wrote:

>I don't know the Naxos Bax recordings, but MHS had a splendid series
>going (I believe it originated with Lyrita)

Correct.

>with English orchestras conducted by Myer Fredman (#'s 1 & 2), Raymond
>Leppard (#5), and Norman del Mar (#6).

The orchestra in all the Lyrita Bax symphonies was the London Philharmonic.
Leppard also did #7 which is coupled with #1 on the CD.  I'm pretty sure
Lyrita never recorded 3 or 4.  IMHO, Fredman's is still the best version
of #1.  And don't forget Spring Fire (Chandos/Vernon Handley), which Bax
designated a symphony but not as one of the numbered canon.

Richard Pennycuick