From:
James Zehm <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Jul 1999 19:20:05 +0200
David Stewart <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Gregory Ginn wrote:
>
>>We really need to appreciate Naxos for what it really is, an economical
>>label for those who are just getting into classical music and for those
>>who find themselves on a budget and cannot always get the Decca or the
>>Deutsche Grammophon recordings.
>
>Nonsense.  This is label fascism and unfair pigeon-holing.  There is
>no earthly reason in the randomness of recording and performing that
>Naxos will not end up with a better job than DG or Decca.  They have
>well rehearsed performers with excellent sound.  They have won a
>number of penguin rosettes.  Probably in the standard repertoire
>(Beethoven/Brahms/Mozart etc.) DG and Decca are the best but Naxos has a
>far wider ranging catalogue than DG AND Decca put together.  I just don't
>understand why you would say this.

I agree with Dave Stewart: Naxos IS good. Of course I rather buy Karajans
Beethoven 6 on Deutsche Grammophon than NAXOS with Drahos, but in other
repertoires they have some really good stuff (check my other post for
examples).

A NAXOS CD is four times cheaper than a standard DECCA, but NAXOS have due
to their low price reached out to a much wider "audience" - you find a
great set of NAXOS recordings in cities where you cannot buy any DECCA in
the stores - and NAXOS do sell here. I fact they sell more then 4 times the
DECCA. NAXOS is a label still coming marchin'. NAXOS has already started
selling historical performances, and it will not take long before they hav
ebought up those famous recordings we wont to have.

Just a little good luck wish to NAXOS (forward it to Klaus Heymann if not
on list): Naxos liner notes are often very good and intersting in their
general repetoire, but in opera and the historical releases, this lacks. I
would be ready to pay more for NAXOS CDs just to get libretto/extensive
liner notes. Do this for me, NAXOS!

James Zehm <[log in to unmask]>