From:
Aaron Rabushka <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Jul 1999 12:52:17 -0500
Beethoven criticized for bad counterpoint? (I'm sure it's happenned, but
I've never heard this particular idea until now.) Almost all of his fugal
essays have the word "free" in a heading somewhere.  He did not devote
himself to fugues as Bach did, but fugal and contrapuntal elements do
enrich many of his works.  There are many who think that all of J. S.
Bach's fugues are "incorrect." There comes a point at which the proper
question becomes "who's having more fun?" I suspect any good oratorio based
on "The Book of Bob" would have to have a good (but never self-conscously
so) fugue in there somewhere.

Aaron J. Rabushka
http://www.cowtown.net/users/arabushk/