From:
Scott Morrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Oct 2005 11:12:36 -0500
And speaking of Charles Rosen, I just watched a DVD containing two
Frank Scheffer documentaries - one on Stravinsky's 'Symphonies of Wind
Instruments' (with commentary by Robert Craft and Reinbert de Leeuw),
and the other on Schoenberg's 'Five Orchestral Pieces.' Rosen does some
of the commentary on the latter and his explanation - with illustrations
by Michael Gielen conducting the Netherlands Radio SO - brought home the
meaning of Klangfarbenmelodie in a way I'd never gotten before.  Two
excellent documentaries.

I've written a fuller review at

   http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000AMMSQ2/classicalnetA/
for those who might be interested.