From:
Albie Cabrera <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Mar 2001 11:13:17 -0800
--- Tony Duggan <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>You judge a recording by the first few seconds
>only??? In fact, apart
>from the first movement, Barbirolli's tempi in the
>Sixth are pretty
>conventional.

I know I know... Well... I tried giving it another
extended chance.  I suppose, after a while, I kinda
acclimated to the slow 1st movement tempo.  However,
on the second disc (from the library), there was a
huge scratch that rendered it pretty much
unplayable... *sigh*... wonder if I'll ever know.  I
was really looking foward to hearing how he rendered
the second movement.

Still, first impressions are big to me... and I'm now
on my way to getting the Chailly M6... so it may all
be moot by now... oh well;-)

Albie

http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/