From:
Richard Pennycuick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Jul 2005 07:17:02 +1000
Mitch Friedfeld:

>During a trip to Tower today, was very pleased to see the arrival of
>vol. 6 of the Kodaly Quartet's cycle of Schubert string quartets on
>Naxos. This was, I thought, the final disc in the series. When I got
>home, I realized that Quartet No. 5 is not to be found on any of the six
>discs. So I have to ask: Is Schubert's SQ5 known by another name, like
>the 14th is called Death and the Maiden? The disc I bought today has
>SQ15, coupled with the five German dances; there would have been plenty
>of room on this disc for SQ5. What about other ensembles' complete
>recordings of the Schubert SQs; do any of them extend to more than six
>discs? Maybe I have another disc, containing SQ5, to look forward to;
>or maybe it's already out there.

The set by the Melos Quartet contains six discs.  It includes the SQ5,
and another quartet movement other than the well-known one, aka SQ12,
but not the German Dances.  SQ5 has only two movements and runs about
14 minutes, so as Mitch suggests, it could have fitted onto one of the
other volumes.  Naxos often adds a rarity or two to its CDs and it would
be no surprise to find that there is some infrequently heard snippet or
SQ arrangement for a final volume.

Richard Pennycuick