From:
Jane Erb <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Aug 2003 11:28:25 -0600

I am the proud grandmother of two adopted Chinese granddaughters and
have many young friends among the Chinese students who attend the Aspen
Music Festival, where I work.  One of the most talented youngsters I
have seen for years is a Chinese pianist and no one is more eager for
her success than I.  However, I agree completely with Tim Horwood, feeling
that all he is saying is that perhaps the young man needs to return to
his home, whether in China or Sioux City or Timbuctu, for more study
and, perhaps, more seasoning.  Yes, Lang Lang's playing is full of life
but I have always felt (and still do) that it's life sprinkled too
generously throughout whatever he's playing; that he lacks, for want of
a better word, sensitivity.  Unhappily, I DO find his stage antics showy
and can only wish for him to tone it down a bit. His is obviously a fine
talent and he's got the chops, but despite the hype and the fact that
he's already there, I don't really think he's yet ready for the big time.

BTW, to Tim Horwood and others who might wish to know: Lang Lang's
official bio says that the proper form of address for him is always
Lang Lang, never 'Lang' nor 'Mr.  Lang' nor any other version of his
name.  I am reminded that David Finckel's highly talented Taiwanese
pianist wife is always addressed as Wu Han, never 'Ms. Han,' nor 'Wu,'
nor any other shortened version of the name.

Jane Erb