From:
Henny van der Groep <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Oct 1999 20:53:52 +0200
Tony wrote:

>There's no doubt that music has the power to move us in strange ways
>and it's not only homo sapiens that are affected.  The work of Dorothy
>Retallack found that plants responded to different genres of music.
>Classical music in general, J.S.  Bach in particular, and Ravi Shankar made
>the plants grow fast and healthily.  They leaned toward the speakers almost
>' as if to embrace them'.  Ms. Retallack's favourite composer Debussy had
>hardly any effect either way.

The children at school become very quiet with L'apres du midi d'un Faun of
Debussy.  Perhaps that's one of the reasons plants don't give any reaction
too (smile).  And with Le Sacre or Petrouschka they are wild (now you know
what plants will do, I assume).  I like that story about plants!  Last time
I went to a concert with Schnittke on the Program and at the end, after the
magnificent Pianotrio, I did feel quite happy and full of energy.  I don't
have the slightest idea how it comes, but I have the feeling we all know
this kind of feelings after certain concerts?

Henny van der Groep