From:
Karl Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Jul 2005 08:26:23 -0500
Bill Walsh wrote:

>Thanks for reminding me of this.  Also an autodidact, Karl Haas was at
>the top of my list for learning and inspiration.  I always felt that he
>really wanted me to enjoy music and I never saw any hint that he ever
>wanted to demonstrate his superior knowledge in a self-serving way.
>I will miss him and thank NPR for continuing his broadcasts for an
>indefinite period.

While I didn't listen often, I share that notion that he wanted to share
what he loved.  While his style differed greatly from Bernstein, I found
the Young People's concerts to be similar.  I don't recall Bernstein
ever putting down any style of music or any composer.  It was always
like a friend who found something wonderful and wanted to share it.

As I write this I am reminded of the monthly listening sessions I used
to have with a group of friends.  We would bring along our favorite
recent purchases and spend a few hours sharing.

Which reminds me, I remember how we used to do something of the same on
this list.  While we couldn't listen together, we did share of our recent
listening activity.  Does this still sound like a good idea?

Karl