From:
Tom Connor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Oct 1999 11:49:08 -0400
Wes Crone wrote:

>One issue that has been on my mind for the last several months is whether
>or not CM listeners fairly judge pieces/performances when they have an
>unfavorable view of the performer or conductor.  My main example is Leonard
>Bernstein.  To my surprise I find that more people than not express an
>opinion of dislike for Leonard Bernstein as conductor.

I have to confess never being very impressed with L.B.  until later in
his life with some of the recordings with the Vienna Philharmonic.  My
own criteria was developed very early while listening to the radio.  Often
tuning in in the middle of a piece I just listen.  Sometimes I remark to
myself, "Who is this?" Consistently, the conducters announced at the end of
the music I am impressed with lately are Claudio Abbado and Simon Rattle.

Some time ago when I first began listening to music the form of the
question could be, "Yuk, who is this?" Very often it was Lenny.  Gradually
I began to realize I should ignore some tastes.  They just wern't like
mine.

Tom Connor <[log in to unmask]>