From:
Joel Hill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Jun 1999 21:20:23 -0400
I wrote about Ars Nova and Scnabel's Violin Sonatas etc.

>>Talk about shooting yourself in the foot!!!!  How better to go bankrupt
>>than by flooding the market with totally obscure works by a composer who
>>is basically known for his playing of Beethoven on the piano. There are
>>probably *NOT* 100 people in the "greater metropolitan" area of Tallahassee
>>who have even heard of Schnabel.

And Bernard Chasan (among several others) replied

>Some reactions to this:
>
>1.  Is this not a university town we are speaking of? I would bet that
>more than 100 people have heards of Schnabel.

Yes.  A University town FSU, with an outstanding music school.  Maybe if
you factor in all the piano students you might get to my hypothetical 100
people.  Don't bet the farm, though.

>2.  I am way more dismayed at the spotty stocks you find at Tower,
>Borders, and some internet cd outlets.  Try searching Amazon.com
>for something just a bit of the beaten path!!

Our new Borders is set to open in a week or so.  I will check it out.
I have frequented (oftened??) the Borders in Orlando and Tampa and have
been rather pleased.  At least they have a good supply of Naxos.

I guess in the long run, I have been properly chastized about my original
remarks.  I am sure that all of you are right about who actually picks
which discs and how many.  I guess I was just frustrated with the whole
mess in general, and aimed my arrow at Arte Nova.  Please pin a bull's
eye to the back of these buyers, so I will know where to aim next time.

Humbly (it won't last)

Joel
Tallahassee, FL
Go 'Noles!!