From:
Peter Herwitz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 Nov 2002 15:04:51 EST
There is a new recording of the Beethoven violin sonatas with Dumay
and Pires that is quite good.  There are some willful and occasionally
misjudged use of tempi and dynamics(especially in some of the inner
movements) but on the whole these are passionate and convincing readings
of these wonderful works.The Kreutzer really smokes.  And even when the
interpretrations seem to go astray the intelligence and originality in
these peformances impresses as unique and ultimately in the spirit of
Beethoven.  I strongly reccomend this set which is also beautifully
packaged and with excellent notes.

Other excellent recordings I've recently come accross are Bernard Kruysen
singing Faure,Ravel, Debussy, and Duparc in a five for three cd set on
Valois and Germaine Thyssens-Valentin playing the Faure Nocturnes on
Testament.

I saw at Tower in the village the set of Beethoven violin sonatas with
Casadesus/Francescatti.  Can anyone reccomend this recording?- it sure
seems attractive and I don't think you can have too many recordings of
these marvelous pieces.  I have Grumiaux/Haskil, both Schneiderhan's,
and Oistrakh/Oborin.  Are than any others that seem essential?

Best to everyone.

Peter Herwitz