From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Feb 2003 03:16:18 +0000
   Frederic Chopin(1810-1849)
     Barcarolle in F sharp

Claudio Arrau
Archipel 0092
Recorded 1952
All-Chopin Program:
Barcarolle, Op.60
Scherzos, Op.20/31
Ballade, Op.23
Impromptus Op.29/36/51
TT 57:40
Comparison Barcarolle Version: Arrau/Philips/1980

When I received this Archipel disc, I started wondering if I had already
reviewed an Arrau version of the Barcarolle.  Wondering led to looking
into the matter, and I discovered that I did review the Arrau performance
on Philips which was recorded in 1980.  My conclusion about that worthy
interpretation was that the reading was permeated with hesitations which
sometimes disrupted the flow and rapture of the music.  I didn't note
any other problems with the performance, but I notice them now that I've
heard the exceptional 1952 interpretation.

Everything about the Archipel release is more musically pleasing.
The frequent hesitations are incorporated into the basic rhythms,
not controlling them.  Phrasing is supple and delicious instead of
being pushed, and inflections/nuances are more incisive and spiritually
uplifitng.  In addition, Arrau '52' consistently increases its strength
and public rapture as the work progresses, giving it a fine architectural
sweep; in the 1980 version, Arrau can be more emphatic in the poignant
1st section than in the 2nd.

I won't deny that the Archipel sound is several grades below the 1980
sound: depth is deficient, high notes have a clangy quality, and there's
a general haze sitting on the piano tone.  On the plus side, aural debris
is minor and Arrau's performance is never derailed by the soundstage.

Overall, I feel that Arrau's 1952 recording is among the best ten or so
on the market.  He exceptionally captures the music's poetry and nuance,
pounces on the dramatic passages with gusto, and conveys the rapture
which is required for an outstanding interpretation.

Don's Conclusions: If you are only familiar with Arrau's 1980 recording
of the Barcarolle for Philips, the 1952 on Archipel should be a real
eye-opener.  This performance is one of Arrau's best in a very long
discography, sound is sufficiently decent to not interfere, and  cost
is in the mid-price range.  It adds up to a strong recommendation,
although I'm not thrilled with programming the first three Impromptus
and leaving out the Fantaisie-Impromptu which is easily the best of the
four.

Don Satz