From:
Marina Werbeloff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Oct 2000 13:38:20 -0400
David Harbin <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>1. Most overrated CM CD of the year
>2. Worst orchestral performance
>3. Worst vocal performance
>4. Special pontificating bore award for worst CM commentator
>5. Most ridiculous CM/rock crossover album
>6. Most misleading CM review of the year award
>7. Most annoying engineering award
>8. Label that should be bought by a US brewery giant and asset stripped award
>9. Most pretentious CM CD cover award
>10. Most needless, irritating period instument rehash award.

Well, this sounds like a kind of poll I should participate in.  Except for
one category, unless I misinterpreted your intention.  What, pray tell, do
you mean by "Most needless, irritating period instrument rehash award"? Why
does a "period instrument rehash" get singled out:  is a HIP performance
inherently more "meaningless" than a modern-instrument equivalent? Is there
some resentment towards the whole HIP idea that I'm sensing? No?

I may be mistaken, but if not, then I'm looking forward to biting your
head off (well, attempting to, anyway, while trying not to choke on it!).
I must admit that I'm not the best-qualified person to rise to the task of
fending off the HIP foes.  There are, no doubt, many people on this list
and elsewhere, who are more knowledgeable and more articulate than I am;
I'm pretty sure, though, that not many are more passionate.

Unless, of course, you meant something else altogether and I'm barking up
the wrong tree (or whatever the expression is).  In which case accept my
sincerest apologies.

Marina Werbeloff