From:
Karl Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Mar 2000 08:35:26 -0600
Deryk Barker wrote:

>OTOH, I think audiences can easily be misled by heavily edited recordings
>into expecting note perfect readings live.

I agree completely.  Certainly there is a place for note perfect
recordings, but my concern is that performers have lost sight of how a
concert performance can be significantly different from a recording, and
offer the audience an added reason to attend.

>technical grounds - but you can't have an editing session 40 years after
>the fact (not when many of the performers, certainly the conductor, have
>passed on).

Well actually some do that...I have.  Our archive is home to broadcasts of
the Houston and Austin Symphonies.  The Austin symphony wanted to prepare
a tape of a 1940s broadcast as a gift to the family of a man who had been
a soloist with the orchestra.  It was the opening of the Grieg Concerto,
and the announcer was still talking as the work began.  I spliced in the
opening to the Grainger Hollywood Bowl recording.

I was not the first to be asked to do this.

>>By the way, the next NY Phil set will be ten discs of Bernstein.
>
>Any idea of the repertoire?

Some idea.  From the little I know, Amberson, the company which controls
everything Bernstein, is reluctant to allow any issue which would
potentially be in competition with the commercial recordings.  As a result,
a significant focus of the set will repertoire that Bernstein did not
record commercially.  That will include a fair amount of American and
contemporary music.  As far as I know, nothing is definite, but following
a phone call yesterday with the producer, I know of some things that will
be looked at.

Some of my choices...and others mentioned

Copland: Outdoor Overture (1950)
Rachmaninoff: Piano Concerto No.2 (Kapell)
Weiniawski: Violin Concerto No.2 (Morini-1959)
Varese: Arcana (magnificent-slower than most other versions I have heard)
Markevitch: Icarus
Mitropoulos: Concerto Grosso (not a bad piece)
Prokofiev: Piano Concerto No.2 (Ashkenazy-his US debut I think)
Piston: Violin Concerto No.2 (Fuchs)
Schumann: Cello Concerto (Du Pre)
Several different performances of baroque music

Will post more as the project develops.

If anyone knows of a collection with broadcast recordings of Bernstein/NY
Phil performances, please let me know.

Thanks.
Karl