From:
Olivier Solanet <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Dec 2006 11:58:15 -0500
Dave Lampson wrote:

>The tour continues.  This week's mystery piece also comes from Rick
>Mabry, and he's not giving any hints this time.
>
>The clip is at:
>
> http://www.classical.net/sample05.mp3

My initial finger pointing gravitated toward Ginastera - very rhythmic
with an ostinato bass: patently Ginastera...  However, it's too tonally
centered for Ginastera and not dissonant enough (what, no tone clusters?).

I then thought of Villa-Lobos, and quickly discounted him.

It's definitely not the Barber Sonata.

It's also definitely not Rachmaninov, nor Medtner.

However, others have suggested that it sounds Russian, and so I began
to think of whom it just might be.  It's 20th C., but not as late as
Schnittke.

The excerpt to me also sounds as though it might very well be the
entire piece.

I'm only familiar with one 20th C.  Russian composer who wrote quite a
few piano miniatures - excluding Prokofiev, and this just isn't Prokofiev
to me.

Deductive reasoning leads me to vote for Alexandre Tcherepnin.

Time for a trip to the Lincoln Center Library...

Olivier Solanet