From:
Per Backstrom <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Sep 2000 07:40:16 +0200
Mats Norrman wrote:

>Thats a pity, then "Die Goetterdaemmerung" could be absolutely
>wonderful when performed in a good way.  I can wish Mr. Satoshi should have
>attended the Ring at Dalhalla Festival instead, as those performances were
>outstanding.  But one cannot have everything, and I, as refuge, can always
>sink down into a Schopenhauerian resignation that one have to wait 7 years
>to get tickets to the Festival at Bayreuth.

I don't know if everybody is familiar with the Dalhalla Ring Mats mention,
so I think it needs to be clarified that they did not do he whole Ring,
just a sort of highlights performance in one evening.  But I agree that it
was good.  Bruennhilde was sung by Gunilla Stephen-Kallin, whose Isolde in
Karlstad I'm looking forward to, with Lars Cleveman as Tristan.  Karlstad
has a small house so it's a good place to try.

As to having to wait 7 years for Bayreuth tickets I don't know if maybe
Mats is completely out of luck in lotteries, otherwise I repeat my
suggestion to him to enter Swedish Wagner Society.  (or have you, Mats?)

And there are some other decent Rings to see throughout the world even if
I have not seen anyone since January 1999 in Budapest, which was good on
many points but far from perfect.

I have felt tempted to go to Stuttgart but have neither time nor money for
the present.

Per Baeckstroem