From:
Walter Meyer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 Jul 2001 19:05:38 -0400
William Boletta wrote:

>The general rule for all German words is that the main stress is on the
>first syllable.  There are many exceptions to this, of course (zurueck,
>damit, vorauf are all accented on the second syllable, for instance), but
>in the case of these two composers' names, the rule prevails, and the main
>stress is most definitely on the FIRST syllable: BUX-tuh-who-duh and
>PACH-ul-bell.  The *secondary* stress is on the third syllable of the
>respective names.

W/ all respect, so far as friend Dietrich is concerned, his last name is
ponounced w/ the main stress on the third syllable, the first, having a
secondary stress and the second and fourth being sort of swallowed as in
the English "the": Books-te-HOO-de.  (I'm not claiming to be using correct
linguists' terminology here.) Keeping my declaration from being entirely an
ipse dixit is my recollection of how I heard my German speaking parents and
their acquaintances pronounce it (when they were referring to a street or
place in or near Hamburg, I believe, rather than to the composer).

Walter Meyer