From:
Denis Fodor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 May 2002 16:02:04 -0400
Mitch Friedfeld cross-examines Denis Fodor:

>105 minutes for Mahler 9? Did he accidentally play two movements twice?
>Bruno Walter's 1938 Vienna recording takes it in under 70!  Here's a link
>to timings of various M9's; unfortunately, the original compiler did not
>add the various movements to come up with a total....

The band struck up the Mahler 9 at 20:45 and wound up at 22:  30.  Of
course, we're not dealing with a recording here but with a live perfomance.
Though there wasn't an interval, there were pauses between the movements.

The pauses were, however, not unusually long.  And, no, he did not repeat
a movement.  It's more of a case, to my ear at least, of _Mahler_ indulging
a habit or repeating himself.  Bruno Walter's timing jibes with yours
truly's feeling of what Mahler himself could well have tightened it down
to.

Denis Fodor