From:
Laurence Sherwood <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 May 2001 08:09:00 -0400
Peter Wisse wrote:

>I really hate Beethoven.  They should stop playing his music for another
>25 years or so, maybe one could then make a reappraisal

Well, I don't know about that.  Are you burned out with his symphonies?
I find that the conductor can make or break a composer's work.  Every
conductor, pianist, and orchestral player can make the music come alive,
or they can make it dull.  Try listening to different interpretations of
his music.  Some critics say that Norrington's (a conductor) tempi for
Beethoven symphonies are too fast, and that all he knows is speed.  Well,
I like the way he conducted the adagio from Beethoven's 9th, and he did
a helluva job with the fourth movement.  Other conductors (Zubin Mehta
for example) interprets some parts of the music too slowly, but his
interpretation of the scherzo (in myopinion) is better than Norrington's.
To sum things up, try listening to different recordings.  If you still hate
Beethoven, well, move on to someone else.

I graduate from high school Thursday!  I will be attended the University
of Montevallo this summer as a piano major!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jeremey