From:
Dick Claeys <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Nov 2000 16:39:08 -0800
In listing his preferred performances, Jim Saunders writes:

>The new Solti has gotten some good reviews, but left me a little cold.
>Maybe the recording isn't detailed or "close" enough.  I haven't heard
>the Herreweghe.

I have the Solti, among others, and in this performance I hear an
older, more serene Solti at work; with the Berlin Philharmonic and
a solid soloists, it holds up very well.  I also have two from the
Concertgebouw--the Bernstein live performance, mentioned earlier and
criticized for its moments of ponderousness and italicizing, plus an
earlier studio recording from Jochum, which holds together very well in
terms of tempi and drama...like Solti, there's a knowing and experienced
hand at the wheel; only the close-up miking of the soloists is a
distraction for me.

Also from Phillips is a set from Davis and the London Symphony, now
available in a Duo box with the Mass in C.  As with most of Davis' choral
work, everything is clean and clear, moving along at a brisk pace.  For me,
it lacks the extra measure of gravity that marks Jochum's work (and runs
to excess at times with Bernstein).  Unfortunately, the favorite out of my
collection may be tougher to find on its own--the Szell/Cleveland broadcast
contained as part of the Orchestra's boxed set on the Szell years.  This
performance conveys complete mastery of the score while evoking the tension
and excitement of a live and unedited performance.  Like the Mahler 9th in
the same box, there's a sense of occasion, along with an intensity and
focus that often aren't often maintained in studio sessions.  Despite the
only-adequate stereo sonics, these Szell discs leave me moved every time I
play them.

Dick Claeys