From:
Deryk Barker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 May 2000 14:31:43 -0700
Ron Chaplin ([log in to unmask]) wrote:

>... what is a heldentenor? I've heard the term, but am not sure
>what it means.

Literally, if I am not mistaken, "heroic tenor".  I believe the term first
came into use in connexion with Wagner's operas, although whether he used
it himself I don't know.

A heldentenor needs a big, powerful voice and needs to be able to maintain
that power for long stretches.  I don't believe any of the Three Tenors
could be classified as helden, although this area is far from my forte.

Examples:  Jon Vickers, Ben Heppner come immediately to mind (well they
*are* Canadians).

Deryk Barker