From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Mar 2000 12:11:01 PST
Ian Crisp wrote:

>At some stage, possibly not too far in the future, all the likely
>HIP purchasers will have acquired as many HIP recordings as they
>want / need / can fit in the house, and even the Don Satzes of this
>world will start wondering if they really need yet another . . .

The Don Satzes of the world have period instruments/HIP in their hearts,
souls, and bloodstream, and will continue loving to listen and buy those
recordings indefinitely.  Personally, I'll love them as I do my wife -
unconditionally and FOREVER.

Bernard Chasan wrote:

>Suppose that you like an older non HIP version of something - say
>Britten's set of the Brandenberg Concerti.  Do you renounce it because
>it is clearly not HIP?

My opinion is that only a *jerk* would stop listening to a liked version
simply because it does not approximate some premise of historical accuracy.
Does Bernard really think that we would behave like that? That historical
accuracy takes center stage over musical enjoyment? I don't know where that
idea would be coming from.

Don Satz