From:
Keith Hansen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Sep 2000 13:45:11 -0700
Does anyone know if Sir Charles Mackeras's first recording of Handel's
"Royal Fireworks Music" is on CD? Has it ever been on CD?

The recording was made circa 1959 by Pye Records in the UK and later
released on a Vanguard LP in the US.  It featured a pick-up orchestra
called the "Pro Arte Orchestra" (I think).  It was just about the only
recording that used the exact same forces Handel had at the premiere
(over 100 wind instruments--24 oboes alone).

If you know anything about this, reply directly to me at:

Thanks!

Keith Hansen