From:
Nick Perovich <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Oct 1999 09:00:36 -0400
Harold Verdun asks:

>Read the same notice-is it true? If so, how is the sound? Has anyone heard
>this performance? I have put the discs in my "save for later" basket until
>I receive further clarification.

I got it on the second day of its release.  The sound is pretty much equal
to the best early fifties studio sound I know.  If you know the recording
of Knappertsbusch's 1951 PARSIFAL (now also on Testament)--always known
for its superior sound--you will find the quality of this GOETTERDAEMMERUNG
very similar.  After all, it was taped during the same season by the same
people using the same equipment and, I believe, the same ingenious
microphone placements (see Culshaw's RING RESOUNDING).  For anyone who
cares about the music, it is inconceivable that the sound would offer any
problem whatsoever.  The performance is everything it's cracked up to be.

Nick