From:
Kevin Sutton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Sep 2000 01:26:56 -0500
Donald Satz wrote:

>I have tried to analyze my cat's sleeping patterns to gain some insight
>about sleeping well; cats are great in that respect.  My conclusion is that
>they sleep fine and often because there isn't much going on in their minds
>and they feel emotionally secure.  Since that describes me quite well, I
>fully expect to be able to emulate their patterns before long.  Learn from
>your pets!

The pet issue is quite an interesting twist on this topic.  Have any of
you analysed or pondered what kind of music causes a response in animals?
My cat, Antonia, who is very bright and manipulative and has the whole
household wrapped around her little paw, is most enamoured of organ music.
She will peacefully snooze through a symphony or a piece of chamber or
choral music.  Play a good toccata and fugue and she sits squarely between
the speakers (spacial effect must be important to her) and listen with her
ears perked up through the entire piece.  I don't know why she digs the
king of instruments, but she does!  (She also likes Sinatra)

Kevin