From:
Tony Duggan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Sep 2000 00:11:54 +0100
Deryk Barker wrote on Mahler symphony recordings:

>Put a gun to my head and this would be my preferred cycle; I've allowed
>myself 2 choices for some.

And Deryk then listed his preferred cycle.

Gun to my head, restricted as Deryk restricted himself, my list of Mahler
Symphony recordings (only slightly different) would be:

1  Kubelik ("live" not DG), Horenstein 1970
2  Klemperer BRSO, Rattle
3  Horenstein, Barbirolli
4  Horenstein, Kletzki
5  Shipway
6  T. Sanderling, Mitropoulos NYPO. (The Horenstein Bournemouth performance
   hasn't been issued officially yet, Deryk, as well you know!!!!  But,
   having heard a poor tape of it, when it does all bets are off.)
7  Horenstein, Zender (for me a recent, and now much-admired, recording.)
8  Horenstein, Morris (controversial)
9  Barbirolli,  K. Sanderling (BBC PO)
DLVDE  Horenstein, K. Sanderling
10 K. Sanderling, Rattle (BPO)

Needless to say, that is the minimum I could go with.

Tony Duggan, England.
Mahler recordings survey:
http://www.musicweb.force9.co.uk/music/Mahler/