From:
Bert Bailey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Sep 2000 09:23:03 -0400
Karl Miller added 5 Klee-inspired pieces to the 2 named already, with a
note about:

>...other visual arts-music connections, I would appreciate your
>suggestions as I keep a list of same.

The outstanding 7-movement Hommage a Paul Klee (1951) by Sandor Veress
(1907-1992), inspired by Klee's 'Stone collection,' is another to add.  The
CD (Teldec 0630-19992-2) also includes a Concerto for Piano, Strings and
Percussion, and 6 Czardas for solo piano. The Hommage is for piano and
orchestra, like the PC; both are top-rate, probably tonal works (Budapest
Festival Orch under H Holliger; Denes Varjon, pf on the Hommage; Andras
Schiff, pf on the other works).  The reclusive Hungarian Veress is said
to be a link between Bartok and the more recent Kurtag and Ligeti.

An aside about this composer, if I may: The Teldec Veress music is from
the early 50s, and the Czardas is from 1938.  A recent ECM New Series CD
(1555) has music from the 60s: a Passacaglia Concertante (for Oboe and
Strings), Songs of the Seasons (for mixed choir) and Musica Concertante
(for twelve strings).  It's atonal, I believe ...or is it 12-tone?; less
traditional in any case.  It's well worth inspecting ...even, IMO, by those
like myself who are not immediately inclined to such music.  He makes a
very persuasive musical case.

Bert, ever eager to share a musical enthusiasm