From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Mar 2000 09:20:17 PST
Having decided to delve into the the music of Lutoslawski, I started with
a Naxos disc containing his first symphony and other works.  So far, I am
quite taken with the second movement of the symphony which possesses much
mystery of an impressionistic nature.  But, the first movement leaves me
entirely flat.  It sounds to me like a hodge-podge of the worst aspects
of the neo-classical style.

My question concerns whether I'm missing something from that first movement
which could significantly impact my perception of the music.  So, I'd
really like to hear from those familiar with and appreciative of the first
movement, read their "take" on the movement, and then give it another try.

Being a little adventurous currently, I've also acquired a Rawsthorne disc
on Naxos of chamber music and a Vasks disc from Teldec featuring Kremer.
Concerning Vasks, I'm enjoying the cd except that this composer seems to
have a tendency to fall into the romantic-goo trap too often.  Thee's no
such problem with Rawsthorne; the music is very interesting and recorded
sound is fabulous.  Well, I'm just at the beginning of this search and
conclusions are well ahead of me.  Any help that list members can provide
to assist in my getting a handle on this unfamiliar music will be greatly
appreciated, and the first movement of Lutoslawski's first symphony is
where I need it right now.

Don Satz