From:
Joseph Sowa <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Dec 2001 21:35:56 -0500
Another interesting tidbit relating to the "article" I wrote:

When asked where he thought where music is going, Lowell Liebermann
responded, "I wouldn't even presume to speculate.  I think a lot of
composers, and artists in general, have gotten themselves into trouble by
trying to second-guess their own places in music or art history.  I think
this is dangerous.  One must let the art follow its own course and not try
to force it into a certain mold because of a preconception that art must
always be 'evolving' in one particular direction or another.  The history
must follow the art, not the other way around.  Our century has been
obsessed with 'historical perspective' and I think it's created a lot
of questionable art."

I agree with his observation.  Opinions?

Joseph Sowa