From:
David Stewart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Jul 1999 21:16:43 +0100
Bob Draper wrote:

>That's interesting Dave.  I read your note after I'd replied to Bob K.
>There I said that some of the piano concertos are amongst the few Mozart
>works I like.

Well, I held this back in case I got bashed but now that I have some
company:  I think that Mozart's Piano Concertos, as a body of works,
are the best examples of good classical composition there are.  They
encapsulate the essence of classicism which something like the Requiem
doesn't - beauty though simplicity.  The piano writing at all times is
perfectly idiomatic and imaginative which I don't think could be said for
his sonatas.  The tunes are all gorgeous - without exception.  Harmony is
normally much more interesting that his symphonies and the form seems to
work better, sounds less repetitive even though essentially it is.  The
least you could say about them is that they are arguably the best examples
of Piano Concerto that you will ever find.  Beethoven's are contenders
also.

For good symphonies, surely you would look to Haydn, not Mozart?

David Stewart