From:
"Robert Stumpf, II" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 May 2002 17:30:33 +0000
Bohuslav Martinu (1890-1959)

The Epic of Gilgamesh

Ivan Kunjer: Gilgamesh
Stefan Margita: Enkidu and Hunter
Ludek Vele: Spirit of Enkidu
Eva Depoltova: Woman
Ludek Vele: Resonneur
Milan Karpisek: Spoken Word

Slovak Philharmonic Orchestra and Choir

Zdenek Kosler cond.

Naxos 8.555138

For those of you not familiar with the Gilgamesh epic I will offer
a summary.  Gilgamesh is the first "hero" known.  The story goes back
about 3,000 BC.  It is a story about "he who saw the deep"* that is,
death.  Gilgamesh is not a traditional hero.  He is depicted as a tyrant
who uses his kingly right to fuck the bride-to-be at the wedding.  He
"leaveth no spouse to a husband." Still, the epic celebrates him.  The
goddess Aruru creates Enkidu from the desert sand so that there might
be someone to protect the people from Gilgamesh (like I said, some hero).
Well Enkidu and Gilgamesh fight so that the men's brides will be safe.
Gilgamesh wins and Enkidu becomes his sidekick.  They travel around
fighting beasts and monsters.  One of the beasts has been sent by a
goddess that Gilgamesh dumped.  Gilgamesh kills it but the gods decide
to kill Enkidu as revenge.  Enkidu dreams of death ("who, my friend, is
not defeated by death"?) and slowly fades away.  [This next part is not
in the oratorio.  Gilgamesh wanders, seeking a wise man who relates the
story of "the flood".  This predates the Old Testament version by thousands
of years.] Gilgamesh, in his grief, continues his journeys and sails across
the waters of death.  He races against time but realizes he cannot defeat
sleep and will also die.  He calls forth the spirit of Enkidu and they
embrace.  Gilgamesh (and the chorus) speak with the spirit of Enkidu asking
questions about death, but Enkidu's replies are enigmatic.  If you have not
read the book, it is better than the oratorio in the sense that it offers
details that cannot be included in Martinu's work, mainly because of the
lack of relative information available at that time.

Okay, now to the music itself.  I have no reference with which to
compare or contrast this recording.  The "Penguin Guide to Compact Discs"
rates this higher than the only other recording available.  I know I am
impressed with the recording, the singers and the orchestra.  The music is
felt before it is heard; when the chorus suddenly sings "Gilgamesh!" it is
stunning.  Throughout, the music fits the epic perfectly.  Martinu's quirky
music adds to the feeling of an ancient time and place.  The Czech language
is also part of the feeling conveyed.  The whole thing is, simply, awesome.
It is also the first oratorio I can say that I have liked.

This was previously released on Marco Polo 8.223316 and I can discern
no difference in the sound.  This Naxos release is less expensive so you
might want to share it with a friend.  I like the picture on the Naxos
cover better than on the Marco Polo.  So it goes.

* All quotes are from the text of Martinu's work.

Peace from he who is stumpf
aka Sisyphus