From:
Denis Fodor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Jul 1999 14:01:22 -0400
A set of 10 CDs featuring (the late) Sergiu Celibidache conducting the
Munich Philharmonic has just hit the market here.  This is the last of
three releases by EMI from the treasure trove of Celi performances and
rehearsals during his final 17 years of romancing the classics here.
He had not intended commercial use of these recordings but his son, his
orchestra and the city of Munich, all of whom share in the proceeds from
sales, very quietly had.  They've had their way.  Among the items included
in this latest batch are seven Beethoven symphonies, Schumann 2, the
Deutsche Requiem and all four Brahms symphonies.  A couple of days ago
I posted a reference to another set (issued receently by DG) of these
symphonies that Celi recorded more than thirty years ago with the Stuttgart
Radio Orchestra.  The opportunity is now given to compare the earlier with
the later Celi in his treatment of material in which he considered himself
specialized.  I've not had the opportunity to have a go at the new EMI
offering (though I heard Celi do all of the Brahms symphonies live over the
years).  But I'm looking forward to it.  Celi doing Brahms is like Smokey
Bear doing a beehive.  IMO.

Denis Fodor                     Internet:[log in to unmask]