From:
Ray Bayles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Nov 2001 19:37:37 -0700
I think the 1990/1991 recordings by the Manhattan String Quartet on ESS.A.Y
is still the best...  truly incredible performances.  The Shostokovich
Quartet set is also excellent.

I don't know of any terrible sets of the Shostokovich Complete String
Quartets, although I can quarrel with one or two individual quartets.

This is one of the magnificent musical works of the 20th Century.
Perhaps there are some new ones for this century I haven't heard.

War is the way Americans learn geography.

Philip Glass.