From:
Kevin Sutton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 May 2000 11:54:39 -0500
Walter Meyer wrote:

>I remember the album cover well, alas, only from the stores where it was
>displayed.  I didn't get a record player until lp's came out, and while I
>no longer remember my first Fifth, it was probably a Columbia lp with the
>top of an Ionic pillar decorating the jacket, the design for all Columbia
>classical lp jackets at the time.

I find Walter's comment about cover art kind of interesting.  I have heard
many people gripe here and at the store about unimaginitive cover art.  No
one seemed to care about it in the days of the pillar.  I almost wonder if
it would be better that the music make the mind images on its own rather
than to be helped by the cover art.  Now, if the cover art were actually
related to the music, it might be ok, but Alfred Brendel's mug on an album
cover does little to fire me up for Beethoven.  And those awful pics of
Murray Periah on the Sony Mozart cds....eeeeeeek!

Kevin Sutton