From:
Deryk Barker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Mar 2001 10:04:17 -0800
Albie Cabrera ([log in to unmask]) wrote concerning the Penguin Guide:

>I refer to their advocacy of recordings by and of British artists.
>(Please, to all the English people on the list, do not take offense.)
>Both the Penguin guide, and Gramophone, seem to really push for recordings
>by Barbirolli, Beecham, and in more modern times, Gardiner, as well as
>other British musicians.  They also seem to push hard for works of British
>composers...  giving, I'm almost certain, a slightly skewed view of their
>musical interest or their overall importance in music history.

Oh no not this old canard again!  They also go overboard for a great
number of non-English musicians.

Barbirolli and Beecham were *very* important conductors.  Barbirolli
succeeded Toscanini and the NYPO for instance and gave a number of
important premieres (incl.  Vaughan Williams' 8th which is dedicated
to "Glorious John").

With Beecham (and indeed Barbirolli) where would Delius' reputation be
today?

Gardiner, OTOH, I don't think much of.

>As they are English publications, I'm certain it's because they must be
>pushing their own national musical heritage and bias.

No I really don't believe this is true.

>Honestly, I think I've come to find that 2 of the most important factors
>that weigh in on my liking a particular recording are, in fact, the
>virtuosity of the orchestra, and the quality of the recording...  basically
>the "dazzle-factor."

I'm sorry; in that case you are beyond hope...:-)

Deryk Barker