From:
Jocelyn Wang <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 May 2000 11:40:35 -0700
Steve Schwartz <[log in to unmask]> writes:

>I said it as a joke, but are adults discriminated against because they
>can't join a children's choir? I don't see this as that far different
>from the situation we're discussing here.

It is very different.  Children have voices that are uniquely child-like,
nor are they generally paid for being in the choir.  Likewise, the same
justification can be made for choirs that are exclusively of one gender,
paid or not.  The sexes have distinctly different voices and therefore sing
differently.  However, is there any difference in the way they play musical
instruments? Of course not, and, if there were, a case could be made for
excluding one or the other.  Given that women have borne and continue to
bear the brunt of most sexism, they would be the ones likely to suffer the
most.  However, if there is any difference in the way they play musical
instruments, I, for one, have yet to see any concrete examples.

-Jocelyn Wang
Culver Chamber Music Series
Come see our web page: http://members.xoom.com/culvermusic/