From:
Albie Cabrera <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Mar 2001 07:47:56 -0800
Tim Dickinson <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>I've yet to warm up to Barbirolli's M5 but the M6 must be heard.

Allright... got to listen again to Barbirolli's M5...  and I remember why
I didn't like it...  sllllluuuuuuudgey!  You feel the music needing to
press foward, yet you hear him continuously pulling back with no apparent
benefit in impact or "ring" to the sound gained by it.  It's not "more
humane" or "emotional" as Gramophone put it... just SLOW!  Once I got over
my outright annoyance with this mannerism and just tried my best to listen
and enjoy, it almost put me to sleep at the wheel of my car!  The Chailly
recording saved me!

Albie