From:
Mimi Ezust <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Mar 2001 18:30:09 -0500
There are very few performers whose P and S I didn't like.  Each person
brings his or her own special style to these magnificent works.

Some of the most beautiful versions from the "old fashioned" players
are the two versions of Henryk Szeryng, the graceful and elegant Nathan
Milstein and a strange and lovely set on Supraphon by Bretislav Novotny,
available from Musicabona.  The way he bows his fugues is not to be
believed!

Of the more "modern" are the outstanding Kuijken on EMI Deutsche Harmonia
Mundi, and one that I find very unusual and satisfying:  Sergiu Luca on
Electra Nonesuch.  These are unique!  Luca adds amazing variations to every
repeat, and he breaks up the chords into arpeggios most of the time.  This
is an acquired taste for some people.  In the almost three decades that
I've listened to them, I have not yet grown tired of this performance.

Once you start getting hooked on the partitas and sonatas, you can never be
satisfied with only one style or one performer.

Perlman still dazzles me.

Mimi Ezust <[log in to unmask]>