From:
Dave Lampson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Jul 2005 16:29:26 -0700
Bill Blank wrote:

>In Star Trek The Next Generation, episode #71, Sarek a Vulcan, cries
>during a performance of a "Mozart" quartet during the slow movement with
>Data playing his violin.  I have searched for this work without success.
>
>I recently found that it was a Brahms quartet in reality.  Does anyone
>know the work and recommend a recording?  The adagio is most compelling
>and I would like to hear the entire quartet,

This is one of those Trekkie Trivia gotchas.  Picard introduces the music
as "all Mozart".  The instrumentation is that of a string quartet, and
indeed the first movement they play is by Mozart: the allegro from String
Quartet #19 in C Major "Dissonant", K. 465.  The andante movement (andante
ma moderato) is actually from Brahms' Sextet #1 in B Flat Major, Op. 18
(second movement).  My first recommendation is probably the Stuttgart
Soloists on Naxos:

   http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000013RI/classicalnetA/

There are other recommended recording options on the Brahms page at
Classical Net.

   http://www.classical.net/music/comp.lst/brahms.html

Dave
http://www.classical.net/