From:
Dave Lampson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Mar 2007 19:08:40 -0800
Ed Beach wrote:

>What was used to make the sound effects of a typewriter in Leroy Anderson's
>Typewriter?  Was it actually a typewriter?

In the performance I saw, it was.  I wish I had paid more attention.
I was a kid of about 12, and I think it was the Chicago Symphony at
a youth pops concert.  The typist was about where any soloist be, out
front, seated at a small desk.

That was also the first time I heard the orchestral versions of the
music from West Side Story.

>If so, what a talented typist that was.

Well, I don't think it's actually "typing", in the sense that it's
verbiage.  If I remember correctly it was just two index fingers hitting
keys approximately in the middle of the keyboard.  Typewriter as percussion
instrument, if you will.  I'm fairly sure whatever was on the page when
he finished was gibberish.

Dave