From:
Steve Schwartz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Mar 2000 07:59:29 -0600
Bob Dubois asks:

>I'm looking for quite a long time for a very good performing of the 9th
>Symphony of Antonin Dvorak.  I heard already many recordings, but up to
>now I didn't find a good one.

Two I can recommend wholeheartedly:

  Ancerl/Czech Philharmonic
  Szell/Cleveland Orchestra

Another that is wonderful is Fiedler and the Boston Pops (believe it or
not).  However, it no longer seems to be available, at least in the US.

All of these performances have a strong dance quality to them, instead of
the treacle that has been poured all over this poor, defenseless work.

I've not heard Horenstein on Chesky, but I'd be willing and eager to chance
it.  Horenstein's work fascinates me.

Never having had a score of this piece, I can't tell you if repeats have
been omitted.  [I thought you had bowed out of that discussion, again.
-Dave]

Steve Schwartz