From:
Kevin Sutton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Oct 1999 21:14:48 -0500
Wes Crone wrote:

>Anyway, I was wondering if you kind folks had any suggestions for Wagner's
>Ring cycle.

For my money, the Solti is still the best cast performance and Culshaw's
production is exceptional.  The Karajan has its merits, too.  The Levine
is not for me as I ardently dislike Siegfried Jerusalem's squalling, er,
singing.

>The recordings I have seen are absolutely mammoth and I don't want to
>spend a lot on a bad recording.

The Solti was recently reissued at a lesser price I do believe.

>I would like the same honest suggestions for Strauss' Elektra and Salome.
>What I have heard from these works was beautiful.  Anyway, I would really
>appreciate your suggestions.  Thank you ever so much!

If you have video capablities, and I am sure you do, you should check out
the Karl Bohm recording of Elektra with Rysanek, Varnay, Fischer Dieskau et
al.  Can't really say on Salome.  I might also recommend that you explore
Korngold's Die Tote Stadt, Pfitzner's Palestrina and Korngolds Das Wunder
der Heliana.  Great stuff all!

Kevin Sutton